Fish Market Dubai – Does fish on your platter make your mouth water? If it does, a visit to the vibrant fish market Dubai is a must. Having been opened to the public in the year 2017, Dubai’s state-of-the-art fish market is an absolute paradise for fish lovers. Earlier, people had to shop for fish at the old Deira fish market. It was thought that a shopping facility that was cleaner offering more comfort was needed. Hence, the new Waterfront Market with air conditioning and odor control came up offering a far better shopping experience to the people of Dubai. Spread over 100,000 square meters, it’s one of the Middle East’s largest markets for food.
About the Dubai Waterfront Fish Market
Located right in the heart of Dubai, very close to the Hamriya Port, the Deira Waterfront Market is where you should be to shop for fresh food. It’s not just fresh fish, the market sells quality poultry, meats, fruits and vegetables as well as seafood. It also sells fresh spices procured from various parts of the world. The Dubai Waterfront Fish Market is always buzzing with life and it blends the ambiance of a traditional souk with Dubai’s contemporary modernism.
The Deira Waterfront Market is dotted with many stores and outlets selling food of a wide range and beverages. Apart from these stores and outlets, the Deira Waterfront Market is also home to a hall used for various purposes, lots of retail stores and the Lulu Hypermarket. Dubai’s people and other visitors flock to the Deira Waterfront Market for fresh food making it a popular shopping venue for fresh food and dry fruits, especially dates. Would you believe it, as many as 800,000 visitors flock to the market every day.
Things to Shop for at the Deira Waterfront Market
- Fish and Seafood: In what is mainly a hub for seafood, you’ll come across as many as 500 vendors showcasing and selling a mind boggling 350 varieties of fresh seafood and fishes straight from fishermen of the Arabian Peninsula. Some of the items are procured from international sources as well adding variety to what’s offered at the market. Take your pick from fresh and live fishes and a vast array of seafood items. You’ll find not just fresh fish, but dried fish as well. You’ll also find hammour, kingfish, yellow bar angelfish, Omani prawns and seabream among a lot of other stuff.
- Fruits and Vegetables: If you are looking for a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, head straight to the Deira Waterfront Market. You’ll be welcomed by more than 150 stalls selling local, regional as well as international fruits and vegetables—all of them so very fresh! There’s a lot to choose from, stuff that you find all year to seasonal products as well like jujubes, pineapples, figs, herbs and other produced both grown as well as sourced locally.
- Dry Fruits and Spices: When you visit the Deira Waterfront Market, you also come across more than 60 shops selling colorful and aromatic spices procured not just from the Middle East, but the entire world. When you are here, you feel like you are at a traditional Arabian souk. You can buy fresh spices here including saffron, baharat, dukkah, ras el hanout and last but not the least, za’atar. This is also a great place to shop for fresh and juicy dates, both of premium quality as well as those grown by local farmers. There are a lot of dry fruits to choose from as well as rice and pulses.
- Meat and Poultry: You’ll find a wide range of fresh meat for sale at the Deira Waterfront Market where more than 80 outlets sell lamb, beef, goat, camel as well as chicken. The meat sold is very fresh and the packaging very attractive and convenient. Hygiene and cleanliness are given a lot of priority and the meat sold here comes in convenient packages of various quantities.
- Cafes and Restaurants: After a hectic day of shopping, you might need to recharge your batteries. There are a lot of dining options at the Deira Waterfront Market serving lip-smacking food. There are sit-down restaurants and cozy cafes. There are simple takeaway options as well as plush dining venues at the market’s promenade strip where both local and other cuisine is served.
The Deira Fish Market remains open 24 hours a day, however, the place may close for a few minutes during the cleaning time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Does the Deira Waterfront Market offer free parking?
Yes, there’s enough parking space available for free at the Deira Waterfront Market’s outdoor as well as basement parking facilities. There are paid parking spots available as well close by.
- What’s the best time of the day to visit the Deira Waterfront Market?
It’s best to visit the Deira Waterfront Market early in the morning so you can avoid the large crowds. That way, you also grab the day’s freshest catch. The sections selling seafood, meat, vegetables, and fruits are open day and night. The retail outlets and restaurants open early in the morning and serve customers late into the night every day. There are some variations in timings in the weekends.
- What’s the location of the Deira Waterfront Market?
The Deira Waterfront Market, as the name suggests, is located in old Dubai’s Deira at the corniche. It’s only a 15-minute walk from the very popular landmarks of the Gold Souk and the Spice Souk.
- How can I reach the Deira Waterfront Market by Metro?
The Gold Souk Metro station is the closest to the Deira Waterfront Market. You’ll need only 7 minutes to reach the market from the metro station. There are other metro stations as well that aren’t too far away including Salah Al-Din and Abu Baker Al Siddique. You can reach the Deira Waterfront Market from these stations by bus or car in just 10 minutes. You can also use private transportation services to go there
- What are the popular items sold at the Deira Waterfront Market?
The most popular items sold at the Deira Waterfront Market are seafood and an assortment of fish, meat, chicken, fruits and vegetables, spices, and dry fruits.